2013: For the second consecutive year, a Caldwell competed in and won Dancing with the Shelby County Stars. In 2012, Jordan Caldwell filled in for Gabe Caldwell, who missed the fundraiser due to a national dodgeball tournament, and danced to victory. In 2013, Gabe Caldwell reclaimed bragging rights. Judges were Dick Dovidas, Barbara Anderson and Jack Tandy. Other performers included Blake Sandman, Lee Sakellarides, Tashona Cranfill, Mike Merritt, Angela Gill, Mike Haehl, Monica Lung, Dr. Carrie Pumphrey, Mike Dooley, Sally Dooley, Brian Asher, Alisha Slaughter, Rob Springer, Jaye Brunner, Patrea Matthies and Denny Ramsey, who filled in for Andy Lee.
2003: With their new building nearly complete, Ritter's Frozen Custard owner Jim Sleeth announced plans to open Dec. 9. Sleeth and his wife, Eddie, had operated a sandwich shop at 106 S. Harrison St., Jim's Short Stop at 540 E. Hendricks St., and The Dugout at 105 N. Harrison St. years before, and they had owned the Sports Locker Room from 1991 to 2002.
1993: While flood waters had stopped pouring over the levee at WOOO Radio's main transmitting station on Morristown Road, the station remained off the air. Program Director Mark Gravely said about 10 inches of water had crept into the station, soaking the bottom of the transmitter and some other equipment. Gravely and News Director Wayne Thomas had assessed the damage.
1983: Female athletes honored at Shelbyville High School's falls sports banquet included Susan Gottlieb, Melinda Vogler, Carmen Fewell, Michelle Meal, Michelle Thomas, Stacey Barrett, Shelly Caplinger, Dawn Schnaiter and Wendy Keplinger.
1973: Bueford C. Robbins was elected chair of the Shelby County Republican Central Committee. The retired Eli Lilly & Co. executive had previously served as the party's finance chairman. Robbins had been nominated by Lee McNeely. Robbins and his wife, Caryl (Loper), were the parents of William and Julia.
1963: Waldron High School's FFA judging team took first place in the county livestock judging contest. Team members were John Hurst, Steve Huer and Wayne Weinantz. John Eberhart was instructor.
1953: The Shelbyville Plan Commission approved a request for the Ohio Oil Co. to rezone 5 Colescott St., adjacent to the company's filling station, to allow for expansion. The commission also approved zoning lots in Bungalow Addition at the southwest edge of the city, the old Spiegel coal yard property, to heavy industry.
1943: Vernon Pogue, of Shelbyville, received a letter of commendation for his service on a U.S. submarine that sank several enemy ships. His parents, Mr. and Mrs. James Pogue of 525 W. Franklin St., received notice of the award. Vernon was a chief pharmacist mate in the service.
1933: The Indianapolis News and Shelbyville Republican offered a free Thanksgiving turkey to anyone who could sign 10 others up to a 13-week subscription.
1923: City Council discussed annexing 13 acres south of the city. A number of residents of Elm St., McKinley St. and Tompkins St. were anxious for the annexation to go through so that they would receive relief from overflowing water in the section.